Crosswalk upgrades are scheduled for downtown Springfield next month as part of a beautification project led by the Springfield Public Works Department.
This project will feature stamped asphalt crosswalks throughout downtown that will look like reddish-brown brick paving stones outlined with a crosswalk delineation.
Contractors working for the City of Springfield will begin work on Monday, August 8, 2022. Work is scheduled to be completed by August 18, 2022, weather permitting.
Below is a tentative project schedule:
- Monday, August 8: West Court Square – 5th Avenue to 6th Avenue
- Tuesday, August 9: 6th Avenue – Locust Street to West Court Square
- Wednesday, August 10: Main Street – 6th Avenue to 5th Avenue
- Thursday, August 11: Intersection of 7th Avenue/Main Street
- Friday, August 12: S. Locust Street – 5th Avenue to 7th Avenue, North Locust at 5th Avenue
- Monday, August 15: North Main Street at 5th Avenue
- Tuesday, August 16: Intersection of 8th Avenue and Main Street, Thomas Avenue off of Main Street
- Wednesday, August 17: Intersection of East 10TH Avenue and Main Street, 9th Avenue off of Main Street, West 10th Avenue off of Main Street
- Thursday, August 18: West 10th Avenue at Main Street
Due to equipment repairs, contractors working for the city placed the project on hold from August 11-August 15, the project resumed on August 16 with the tentative project schedule below:
- Wednesday, August 17: West 10th Avenue Close intersection at Main Street (by The Depot) and South Main Street – Southbound from West 9th Avenue to East 10th Avenue
- Thursday, August 18: Main Street – Northbound from East 10th Avenue to East 9th Avenue and Thomas Avenue at Main Street
- Friday, August 19: 6th Avenue from West Court Square to Locust Street
- Monday, August 22: South Main Street – Southbound from 5th Avenue to 6th Avenue and 6th Avenue at South Main Street
- Tuesday, August 23: South Main Street– Southbound from 6th Avenue to 7th Avenue and 7th Avenue (Main Street to Bank Parking)
- Wednesday, August 24: South Main Street – Northbound from 6th Avenue to 5th Avenue
- Thursday, August 25: South Main Street – Northbound from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue and East 7th Avenue to South Main Street
- Friday, August 26: South Main Street – Thomas Avenue to 8th Avenue
- Monday, August 29: North Main Street – 5th Avenue to Springfield City Hall
- Tuesday, August 30: South Locust Street at 5th Avenue
- Wednesday, August 31: 7th Avenue – Greenway Crossing and South Locust – Northbound from 6th Avenue to 7th Avenue
- Saturday, September 3: North Locust Street – 5th Avenue to Parking Lot and Locust Street – Northbound at 7th Avenue
After application of the stamping, crosswalks must be closed for at least 12 hours. During this time, residents and visitors can expect temporary road closures. Please seek an alternate route.
For more information, follow us on Facebook, or receive email or text notifications by subscribing to Notify Me.