Residential Trash Collection Service
The City of Springfield provides trash carts to residential customers within the city limits for once a week collection. All carts must be placed at the curb by 5:30 a.m. on your scheduled collection day regardless of when your cart is "normally" collected. If your cart is not out when the driver is on your street you will not receive service for that week. The city trash carts have serial number and are assigned to the address of the resident. Do not remove the trash cart from the assigned address. Please note that the trash carts are city property.
As soon as practical, after the trash cart has been emptied, it must be removed by the owner or occupant away from the curb until the next scheduled time for collection. It is a violation of a city ordinance to leave carts at the curb.
Extra household trash generated due to holidays must placed in a garbage bag next to the cart. Trash placed in privately owned containers, cans or carts will not be collected. If the practice of leaving excess continues, the city at its discretion, will provide an additional trash cart and increase the sanitation rate accordingly.
Call or email our office if you need an additional city cart, your assigned cart number or your collection day.
You are automatically billed $14.00 on your monthly bill for sanitation services and it is listed as "SA". If an additional cart is needed the rate will increase to $28.00 per month.
Trash Cart Policies
Policies must be followed or cart will not be serviced:
- Cart must be placed at the curb or the edge of your property by 5:30 a.m.
- All trash must be bagged. Loose trash causes littering.
- Cart must be 4' from any object (other carts, fences, mail boxes or vehicles) to give the collection equipment adequate room to grasp cart.
- Cart must be in correction location, in line and behind the "X". Please call our office if your X has faded.
- Excess trash is not allowed. Your cart will not be serviced if you have trash on top of your cart. After 3 excess warnings you will be delivered an additional cart and your sanitation fee will increase accordingly.
- Lid must be completely closed. This prevents littering and keeps rain from entering cart.
- Lid opening must point towards the street to allow collection equipment to empty cart. If the cart is not facing the correct direction it will not be serviced.
- Only usual bagged household waste is allowed in cart. If junk items or yard waste is found in cart it will not be serviced.
- With the driver's discretion, a limit of three bags of yard waste (grass, hedge trimmings, leaves or small twigs) may be collected with your regular weekly residential trash cart collection (50 pound weight limit). Place bagged yard waste beside your trash cart.
- Remove trash cart from the curb after it has been emptied. This prevents others from using your cart.
|Cart DO's||Cart DONT's|
|Put out the night before your
scheduled pick up to avoid
missing early morning collection.
|Wait until you hear the truck in the
area to take cart out, drivers are
not required to wait.
|Face lid opening towards the street.||Put cart in wrong direction.|
|Place cart clear of stationary objects.||Block cart with vehicle, poles, mailbox,
trees, or under power lines and or other.
Put all bags inside cart.
|Put bags on top of cart, it will
not be picked up.
|Bag all trash before putting in cart.||Put loose trash in cart, crew will not
pick up litter.